New Delhi, India: What began as a patent for copper rivets on work pants in 1873 has, over the last 150 years, become the most iconic and influential piece of clothing ever created. A canvas for rule-breaking, do-what-you-want style, the 501® jeans have broken boundaries of time and culture. Over the years, the 501® family has expanded beyond the 501® Original. The range now includes fits such as the new 501® ’54, 501® ’81 as well as other iterations of the widely popular timeless icon. In all its manifestations, 501® pieces are the ultimate vehicle for self-expression. To celebrate the milestone anniversary and the enduring power of authentic self-expression, Levi’s® is introducing a new range of finishes and fits, including a limited-edition International 501® Jean, banner prints, optimistic colors and a special Levi's x Deepika Padukone 501® Jean exclusive to India.
- International 501® Jeans: In May, Levi’s® will commemorate the 501® jeans as a worldwide phenomenon with limited-edition International 501® rigid Shrink-to-Fit™ selvedge jeans across both genders, that feature all components of the jeans, including our iconic red tab, rivets, leather patch, and pocket flashers translated into six different languages: Japanese, Hindi, Spanish, French, Korean or Simplified Chinese. These unique sundry details celebrate the global appeal of the world’s most iconic jeans in a personalized way for countries and cultures across the world.
- Levi’s x Deepika Padukone – 501® Edition: Icon meets icon with the Levi’s x Deepika Padukone 501® Edition. The limited-edition 501® Original Jean is offered in a deep brown and features unique tonal embroidery on the back pockets, a subtle and elevated addition. Pair the jeans with the matching 90’s trucker Jacket for a full head-to-toe look. These distinct denim pieces are launching May 10 and are exclusive to India.
- Banner Print: Taking inspiration from the extensive Levi’s® archive and original dry goods signage from the ‘30s to the ‘50s while also nodding to the history of print, Levi’s® is also introducing head-to-toe looks of its hero banner print in May. From a Banner Trucker and 501® Banner ’90s Shorts to 501® Banner Jeans and 501® Banner Shorts, these pieces can be layered, styled in hookups, or used as an accent with a classic 501® Original. The dynamic new prints on beloved 501® classics feature bright colors that proudly pop and make a bold statement of self-expression.
- Color: Levi’s® is introducing optimistic color offerings through dye techniques across a range of 501® fits in both genders. Color is a key element of self-expression in fashion, and Levi’s® is empowering individuals to express themselves through color with garment-dyed pieces. These are jeans for people who wear what they want and want to be seen.
- Shorts: Levi’s® is also expanding the family of shorts offerings. From the 501® '93 cut-off and 501® Original Shorts for men to the 501® 90's and 501® Mid-Thigh shorts for women, there are shorts for everybody and plenty of opportunities to try something new. The longer, looser, and more laid-back look of the ‘90s can be balanced with a fitted top or worn with whatever allows you to express yourself and feel comfortable.
““As we celebrate 150 years of the Levi’s® 501® jeans, we also commemorate 150 years of a beloved global icon of culture, enduring style, and authentic self-expression,” said Karyn Hillman, Chief Product Officer at Levi Strauss & Co. “The 501 has transcended from pure utilitarian workwear to an everyday uniform adopted by fans around the globe, across multiple generations. With such a monumental anniversary for the brand, we’ve leaned into our history while threading through innovation and modernity to bring a unique and exciting range of our 501 family to life for today.”
About the Levi’s® brand: The Levi’s® brand epitomizes classic American style and effortless cool. Since their invention by Levi Strauss & Co. in 1873, Levi’s® jeans have become one of the most recognizable garments of clothing in the world—capturing the imagination and loyalty of people for generations. Today, the Levi’s® brand portfolio continues to evolve through a relentless pioneering and innovative spirit that is unparalleled in the apparel industry. Our range of leading jeanswear and accessories are available in more than 110 countries, allowing individuals around the world to express their personal style.
About Levi Strauss & Co.: Levi Strauss & Co. is one of the world's largest brand-name apparel companies and a global leader in jeanswear. The company designs and markets jeans, casual wear and related accessories for men, women and children under the Levi's®, Dockers®, Signature by Levi Strauss & Co.™, Denizen® and Beyond Yoga® brands. Its products are sold in more than 110 countries worldwide through a combination of chain retailers, department stores, online sites, and a global footprint of approximately 3,200 brand-dedicated stores and shop-in-shops. Levi Strauss & Co.'s reported 2022 net revenues were $6.2 billion.